Friday, April 16, 2010

Depending On An Unreasonable Man

Convention and common sense could be seen as two paths of “tried and true”. Safe outcomes and measured decisions, can build respect among many. A solid life will be stamped and approved by many, and few will ever question until the history disappears shortly after.

What about the lane changers? There are those who will reinvent at the drop of a hat, or cause one to hate or love them passionately for years to come over the smallest action. The debate rages for years about their merit long after they are gone. The people who do not feel the need to report in, but blazes ahead are the people who truly live life.

I have disappointed people, burned bridges, and been the recipient of misconceived notion. Yet I awake every morning open to the idea of breathing and unable to wear the shame. I can apologize and I do, but I cannot fix mend or create with my head hung. I also know I have inspired, made a difference, and in an unorthodox fashion remained a constant.

The world around me is splitting into sides and the sides are both creating list of what defines a good person, a true person, a respectable one. These sides want a lock step commitment of conformance to a cause. I want to tell both sides right here right now, conformity is not a key component to any cause worth lifting a flag for, and it is mine and everyone else’s right to disagree.

Swallow your tea bags. Dump out your cold ass coffee. You feel you are a revolutionary standing up for your rights and it is my view both sides have a blind spot on freedom and instead are engaged in standing on someone else’s. Take your lily white asses to the streets and chant your impotent slogans, but do not think me a fence sitter for not committing to your measures. Give me the shaky life of the outsider as it means I will not drown in a sea of foolishness. Your need to “convince me” shows me your fear. Good luck with that, and before you tell me to love it or leave it, find out what “IT” is, and then fuck off.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to him. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionist

No comments:

Post a Comment